top of page

Anchormen Fall To Eastern Connecticut In Tight 3-1 Match

Jamila Coleman

Anchor Staff Writer

Photo via

The Rhode Island College Men’s soccer team made their way to Eastern Connecticut State University on Wednesday to play an away Little East Conference game. This was RIC’s 11th match of the season. They currently hold an overall record of 2-6-3, 1-3-2 in the Little East Conference.

In the first 45 minutes, Eastern Connecticut wasted no time with taking the lead. Just five minutes into the match, Eastern Connecticut senior Caleb Ennin scored for his team, this being his second goal of the season. 16 minutes after their first goal, Eastern Connecticut senior Andres Mayuri added another tally on the board for his team, scoring what would later on prove to be the game winner.

In the game of soccer, two goals ahead is considered a huge lead. However, the Anchormen continued to keep their heads in the game. In the second half, during the 52nd minute of the game, RIC senior and forward, Jonathan Oliveira of Providence, made a pass to his teammate, senior Brandon Ramos of Boston, Massachusetts. Ramos then carried out a successful shot, cutting their deficit in half and making a comeback possible.

Thirteen minutes later, in the 65th minute, Eastern managed to put up an insurance goal. Eastern sophomore Logan Brennan, supported by his teammates Mayuri and Ennin, scored his sixth goal of the year. That was the last goal made on either end, with the came closing at a 3-1 final.

On the defensive end, both teams used two goalies throughout the match. RIC started with junior Jake Reed of Cumberland, who made two saves while playing goalkeeper in this game. Reed’s teammate, sophomore Wesley Perrotto of Pembroke, Massachusetts, eventually came in and closed the game out with three saves on the night. As for Eastern Connecticut, junior Dylan Pallank of Wilmington, Connecticut and his teammate, sophomore Nathan Yeich of Wilmington, Connecticut, split their goaltending duties. Both Yeich and Pallank finished the match with two saves.

The Anchormen traveled to Goreham, Maine to take on the University of Southern Maine in Little East Conference play. It was a gritty game that saw neither team succeed in securing the win as the game ended in a 0-0 tie. Reed started in goal for RIC and secured his first shutout of the season. The Anchormen outshot the Huskies four to two in shots on goal, but were not successful in putting anything past the Southern Maine goalkeeper.

The Anchormen’s next game will be on Oct. 19 as RIC takes Wheaton College.


Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page